Horizon Sunshine Coast - festival of arts and culture
25 AUG - 3 SEP 2017
Horizon Sunshine Coast – festival of arts and culture, is a region-wide cultural arts event that celebrates the creative energy of the region through light, colour, place and all things creative.
An initiative of Sunshine Coast Council and in partnership with the community, a broad program ranging from contemporary art and new media installations to film, literature, performance, street art and more will be held at various locations throughout the region.
Horizon offers a platform for the creative voice of the Sunshine Coast and opportunities for cross-collaboration in all art forms. The arts are a vehicle to create connections across our region and celebrate diversity and the beauty of the Sunshine Coast with visitors and our community.
The festival offers positive outcomes for the wider community, such as promoting social inclusion, well-being and cultural benefits which can bring communities together, foster participation, encourage healthier lifestyles and enable residents to gain a wealth of experiences that would otherwise not be readily available or accessible. These are no less important to the community than economic impacts and can result in increased community pride, volunteering and ambience.
The festival objectives are to:
• showcase, empower and connect local cultural creatives
• provide opportunities for the local business community to productively engage with the local creative community
• deliver a premier festival that has the potential to become a permanent fixture on the national arts calendar
• attract regional, national and international tourists to experience the vibrant creative culture of the Sunshine Coast
• generate regional, national and international media coverage through the staging of signature events that are highly visually attractive and increase the value of iconic Sunshine Coast features.
Legacy goals are to:
• grow and strengthen the regional creative industries sector
• develop national and international networks
• strengthen community pride and connectedness
• develop communities capacity to deliver their own event
• foster cultural tourism recognition, growth and maturity
• deliver hard infrastructure, such as street art, sculptures etc.
Stay tuned for more info and follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
The Horizon Team