Horizon is inviting submissions from artists, organisations and galleries for exhibitions to be part of the Horizon Festival 2018.
We are seeking high-quality, contemporary exhibitions that are engaging and locally relevant to the Sunshine Coast. Exhibitions that are specifically curated for Horizon and feature either local or reputable guest artists will be highly regarded.
Exhibitions must be independently produced and funded. While presented in partnership with Horizon, funding is not available to support the exhibition through this submission process. Applicants are encouraged to seek funding through Community Grants and RADF, consider sale of works and/or pursue sponsorship opportunities. Successful applicants will be able to demonstrate a clear marketing approach and a willingness to work collaboratively with Horizon on ticket pricing (if applicable) and marketing.
The exhibition must commence during Horizon (24 Aug – 2 Sep 2018). There are opportunities for up 10 exhibitions to be programmed in the Horizon Festival in 2018.
We strongly encourage submissions from people who identify as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander.
Submissions will be assessed based on the following considerations:
- Artistic merit of exhibition concept
- Quality of previous work
- Viability of exhibition plan
- Local relevance of the exhibition and the profile of artists involved
- The applicant’s ability to self-fund and promote their exhibition
Applicants will be required to provide a summary of the proposed exhibition, including:
- Artist / curator statement
- Exhibition details – title, outline, dates, opening times
- Overview of artists whose works will be displayed in the exhibition
- Proposed location and evidence of permission to occupy
- Marketing attributes and approach
- Exhibition build timeline / itinerary
- A projected budget
- Production and operation requirements
- Supporting material as relevant to your project including bios of artists, examples of artists work and letters of support from participants or communities.
Submissions Open: Mon 18 December 2017
Submissions Close: Mon 12 February 2018
Notifications: Wed 7 March 2018
Contract Executed: Early April 2018
Marketing Content to Horizon: Early May 2018
Horizon Festival Delivery: Fri 24 August – Sun 2 September 2018